Jamaicans indulge in the art of basket weaving, but some are clueless on its links to our African roots.
Among the many cultural traditions that link Africa and America, one of the most beautiful is the weaving of coiled baskets. This craft was brought from West and Central Africa to the American Colonies more than 300 years ago and is still passed from generation to generation among the Gullah/Geechee people of South Carolina and Georgia.
[caption id=”attachment_6831″ align=”alignright” width=”300″ caption=”Virtuoso Lowcountry basketmakers often create ingenious designs such as this
- ... refers to representatives of entities such as embassies, entertainment industry, creative force whose submitted work gets published on this site. Views expressed here may not necessarily represent those of the owner of this site, but are being published in the interest of the wider public. Link me here
- General category2019.04.21Fine Art print expo on at UWI till April 28, 2019
- Embassies in Jamaica linkup2019.03.31Jamaica and World Bank team for KingstoOn animation
- Art exhibition2019.03.302019 KingstoOn Animation Fest at UTech April 5-7
- Jamaica Theatre2019.03.292019 JCDC Finals set for April 2 to May 1