Family refuses to leave Jamaica land left only for dad

May 1st, 2017 by LegalWiz | Print Family refuses to leave Jamaica land left only for dad

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My father is the sole benefactor of my grandfather’s estate in Jamaica according to the will he left when he died in 2003. My father did not probate the property and now there are family members living there, who refuse to move out and want to stake a claim on the property.

My father did not seek legal action. How does he need to proceed? He has the will and my grandfather’s death certificate.
Angie Martin

RESPONSE: Dear Angie,
The best step is to begin the process to probate the Will. However, you need to make sure that the will is valid first. If probate is successful, then he would have full authority to deal with the occupants. During the process of the application for the probate, provision is made to deal with the occupants if they wish give challenge.

Legal wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more



Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.