I am owed and I need to sue

I am owed and I need to sue


I’m owed some money by someone I used to be friends with but each time the date comes to pay me they keep putting it off.

I would like to know what is the minimum amount that you can sue someone for in Jamaica and what are the steps to doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Dorreen,
In Jamaica you can sue for any amount.. but under a million will land you in the lower court.
You can visit the court nearest you with a postage stamp valued at least 20 Jamaican dollars and your account of what happened.

If there are documents you can copy them twice and bring along.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, and are done by inhouse senior journalists, chiefly Anthea McGibbon, after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary. Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information.

For physical assistance:

For non attorney services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, filing, artwork, follow ups) in Jamaica you may simply write to legalwizwork@yahoo.com to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse. TEL: 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply.

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.