Are you frustrated with that pesky person or persons occupying your property. Take action by giving them a notice to quit. It’s true that there is one Act that justifies and enables you to remove persons without a notice, but that can be technical and tricky all in one.
So to avoid complications and huge fees and in some cases a backlash, give them a notice.
Here are the steps, once you have decided on taking this step required according to Jamaican law, and also after you determine the category the occupants fall under.
FILLING IN NOTICE FORM, THEN SERVE
To ‘serve a notice’ means that a notice to quit, which is filled in, is given to the occupant you want to leave/ quit the premises.
Below is the notice to quit/ eviction notice form you can use is available for you to download and use. You must fill in two such notice forms. Therefore two forms appear on one sheet below – after you have filled them both in, please cut in two, and after handing one to the occupant, keep the other for yourself. Here are the stages thereafter.
- Fill in the form by following the instructions on the side. Contact us or the Rent Assessment Board for further information as necessary.
- Once filled in, you are expected to give one to the occupant, and secure the other one. Note the difference between tenant, occupant, licensee (Read on who is a tenant, squatter, licensee). If the person is not a tenant, simple cross out that word and write the relevant word – occupant or licensee above it and initial.
- The Rent Assessment Board advises that the Notice to Quit, once it is for recovery of the premises only, can be placed on the front door. If money is being sought, you must give the person directly or seek an order from the Court to serve in another way otherwise
- Once the forms expire, and the occupant has not vacated the premises, please take your copy of the notice and go to the nearest court nearest to the premises, and the court clerks / registry will assist you in filling in court forms, and applying for a summons to get an hearing before the Judge.
Please note, you may also choose to hire an attorney-at-law to handle the court proceedings for you.
Download eviction notice/ notice to quit form here:
You may visit the Rent Assessment Board while in Jamaica at The Towers, 25 Dominica Dr Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. OR Call them at 876-906-1765, 876-926-1590
The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.
FOR PHYSICAL WORK:
For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- One culture from many2022.10.17Jamaica Opposition Mark Golding 2022 Heroes Day address
- Of Law and Justice2022.10.12Jamaica Stock Exchange is for all Jamaicans!
- Events and celebrations2022.10.03List of Digicel Rising Star winners up to 2022
- Raw and Direct2022.10.02ARE JAMAICANS prepared for artificial intelligence?