One of Barrington Watson’s most impacting show! So impacting that two of Jamaica’s Prime Ministers, a governor-general and leading businesspersons were among those who attended to see the unveiling of his portrait of US Ambassador Her Excellency Brenda LaGrange Johnson, bearing an uncanny resemblence.
On November 9th, just a day before the birthday of founder Anthea McGibbon’s birthday, Master painter Barrington Watson informally agreed to be a patron of the OAaSIS International Foundation. In his words he was merely passing on a ‘baton’ for her through OAaSIS to complete another chapter in the development of Jamaica’s art history, before she passes it on herself.
Barrington Watson is no stranger to founding similar organisations himself.
Among his many accomplishments, he is responsible for art being added to the curriculum within schools.
Along with Edna Manley, Barrington Watson is one of the most outstanding critical contributors to Jamaica’s art history.
He also while teaching at the University of the West Indies, founded an art appreciation course there in the 1960s.
Today, totally blind in one eye, and almost blind in the next, he adds consultation to the things he must do.
Back in 2007, Barrington Watson was the real motivator that led to Anthea McGibbon becoming a prolific art critic, which she extends to all creative expression to her satisfied readers, carving a niche for herself.
Among the factors that impress her is the fact that all Barrington Watson’s children are accomplished artists themselves, in addition to Barrington’s own brother, a successful writer. This is one main influence, as the family together is a model on the results of serious committment and understanding of the arts.
In tribute to the ardent support of persons such as Barrington Watson, Wayne Chen, Alexander Cooper, Rex Nettleford, Bryan McFarlane, Delano McFarlane, she further created the OAaSIS International Foundation to assist especially the youth in realising their potential as creative persons.
Other persons who will be approached include Alexander Cooper, master painter.
Read more at:
ACCOMPLISHMENTS of Barrington Watson
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Questions: Legal Wiz2020.04.06JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Keep safe mentally and physically at Court
- Jamaica Covid-19 Watch2020.04.05JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Lessons from Spanish Flu
- Special FYI News2020.04.04JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: How Coronavirus works your body down so…
- Jamaica Covid-19 Watch2020.03.27JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Super job by our civil Parish Judge