QUESTION: Dear Thea,
I’m trying to figure out a budget for my upcoming trip..and taxi is one of the main expenses…at what rates do they charge in USD? Hmmm..maybe if someone can tell me how much a taxi would cost to get from the KIN airport to the US Embassy…maybe I could calculate the rest myself.
RESPONSE: Dear Yahoo Traveller
t seems I overlooked some specifics you mentioned, and so I must revisit and add to my previous answer. I apologise for any inconvenience.
Here’s my previous answer
“Aside from this being determined on where you will be travelling by taxi, you need to also be aware that in quite a number of areas there are two types of taxi services – private and public. Public taxi fares can start at $100 Jamaican dollars per stage, while private taxi fares can start at $300 Jamaican dollars per stage. A stage is approximately 0-4/5 miles. With private taxi drivers you can sometimes negotiate a comfortable price for both of you especially when travelling long distances. At best, during planning, do some research and try as much as possible to have an idea of the number of places you may want to travel by taxi to.”
Here’s what I need to add in direct response to your specifics:
1. You may log into this website (http://www.xe.com/ucc/) for the currency equivalence between the two countries. However $US1.00 = apprx JA$92.00 on average
2. From KIN airport to the US Embassy in Jamaica, you have two taxi options:
a- take a private cab which can run you approximately JA$1500-$2000 per trip
b-JUTA, the official taxi service at the airport, which can cost you from $3000-$4000 for that same trip, with option to travel by car, minivan or bus. I’d budget an extra JA$500
RETREIVED FROM Travel like a local, where Anthea is a consultant on Travelling like a local!
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Of Law and Justice2020.08.03Grateful for google looking out for ‘safe browsing’
- Advertorial2020.07.312020 JAMAICA FESTIVAL: Gospel Finals time to vote
- Anthea McGibbon ART2020.07.31ANTHEA McGIBBON ART: ‘Looking’, a sketch on wall
- Of Law and Justice2020.07.292020 DIY FORM: Eviction of tenant, squatter, licensee