Kingston, Jamaica: ….
Auditions for the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission’s Festival of the Performing Arts are well underway, having started with Speech and Drama auditions at the St. Andrew Parish Church Hall, in Kingston on January 23.
More than 50 performers with dreams of winning at the parish level came out to audition for a shot at becoming national champions. Over 105 pieces were delivered under the watchful eyes of Speech and Drama Adjudicators Glen Campbell, Mrs. Karen Harriet-Wilson and Robert Clarke.
The JCDC has honed the skills of young performers for 55 years and is maintaining the tradition in 2019.
An important step in showcasing Jamaican talent to the world is selecting the strongest, most promising performers and giving them a chance present their craft.
Reacting to the standard of pieces presented Mrs. Wilson said: “It’s been interesting. There is a lot of talent in Kingston; lots of potential and we look forward to seeing who will go on to cop silver and gold medals at the parish level.”
She added: “By looking at some of the pieces, you can tell that a lot of thought went into the staging of the material; not just the content. You can tell that the coaches who helped to put these together kept aesthetics in mind and that is a good thing.”
Persons interested in auditioning for the Performing Arts Festival may enter on the spot at the competition’s parish auditions. These auditions will be held island wide. The National Festival of the Performing Arts is open to community groups, schools, youth clubs, social clubs, performing arts clubs, companies, and churches. Outstanding individual performers are encouraged to enter as well.
Entry forms, as well as additional information regarding the National Festival of the Performing Arts, can be accessed online at the JCDC website, www.jcdc.gov.jm and at the JCDC Head Office located at 3-5 Phoenix Avenue, Kingston 10 and all JCDC parish offices island-wide.
- ... refers to representatives of entities such as embassies, entertainment industry, creative force whose submitted work gets published on this site. Views expressed here may not necessarily represent those of the owner of this site, but are being published in the interest of the wider public. Link me here
- Music for life2019.02.01JCDC honours Dennis Brown on 62nd birthday
- One culture from many2019.01.31JCDC festival auditions begins with Speech and Drama
- Music for life2019.01.31Elimination in nation’s gospel contest kicks off
- Special FYI News2019.01.242019 REGGAE MONTH: Multiple concerts tribute artistes