IN COMPARISON to that of Africa, our Jewish ancestry is hardly highlighted. What’s even more interesting is that many of our leading professionals, businessmen and leaders can possibly trace Jewish ancestry in their genealogy.
Precious little is known of the origin of Jews in Jamaica, such as when they first landed here. Research shows that the Jewish presence in Jamaica has existed well over 500 years.
The first Jews were Sephardic, from Spain and Portugal after the expulsion at the founding of the Inquisition (1492). According to Ainsley Henriques, who figures he is about eighth or ninth generation in the Henriques lineage, the Spanish Inquisition was a test of faith.
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- One culture from many2022.10.17Jamaica Opposition Mark Golding 2022 Heroes Day address
- Of Law and Justice2022.10.12Jamaica Stock Exchange is for all Jamaicans!
- Events and celebrations2022.10.03List of Digicel Rising Star winners up to 2022
- Raw and Direct2022.10.02ARE JAMAICANS prepared for artificial intelligence?