One way of learning the Jamaican culture is through foods prepared. During Jamaica’s much anticipated Restaurant Week for 2011, many foods prepared by or influenced by Jamaicans will be showcased and offered at affordable prices.
TIME OUT for the Jamaica INDULGE — eat all that’s Jamaican, and influenced by Jamaicans all week long. Between November 11-19, the motto ‘Out of Many, One People’ will be richly reflected in a wide array of cuisine specially prepared and priced for even the below pocket diner.
It’s the major Restaurant Week (RW), sponsored by the Caribbean’s leading mediahouse Jamaica Gleaner Company, slated to occur across the three major cities, at 70 locations across Jamaica. 70 restaurants in Kingston, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay will participate in various categories.
Last year some 60 locations participated.(Earlier in October, Jamaica Observer, another media house held a Restaurant week, and sent a team of youth to do a few reviews).
This year the most anticipated Restaurant Week celebrates seven years by partnering with Youth Upliftment Through Employment (YUTE) programme. YUTE staff will be assigned to participating locations, where they will wait on patrons, as well as participate in any RW events.
Owner of this site, Anthea McGibbon, a former full time employee at the sponsoring company Jamaica Gleaner Company Ltd reviews culinary arts as a part of her role in wrtining on creative offerings relating to Jamaicans.
Organiser from the Jamaica Gleaner Company, Stephanie Scott says “Restaurant Week has grown tremendously, providing not just affordable fine-dining options, but more so establishing Jamaica as an international must-experience food haven.”
REVIEWS and MORE on 2011 Restaurant Week:
Read The Gleaner’s Food section every Thursday from October 6 for more about the participants. Visit this site and TopJamaicans.com as well as jamaicans.com for more.
A peek at some Jamaican restaurants so far
Toscanannini for Jamaican Italian at THIS LINK
Going nuts over almonds in Jamaica at THIS LINK
Oriental Dining in Jamaica at THIS LINK
Do SUSHI yourself at THIS LINK
Great drinks at Terra Nova in Jamaica at THIS LINK
FIRST PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 6, 2011
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Raw and Direct2019.04.18Jungle Justice for rape crew members ‘begun’ Tuesday, April 17, 2019
- Embassies in Jamaica linkup2019.04.08Art, tourism meet at R-Hotel for business
- Art exhibition2019.04.07Art and Tourism meet for business in Bryan McFarlane’s New Beginnings
- Special FYI News2019.04.07‘Paint-by-Numbers’ Dan Robbins dies at 93