Can he serve court summons for my money on her sister?

Can he serve court summons for my money on hr sister?

I loaned a girl over 80,000. She keeps going in and out the hospital and her sister who lives with her comes to Court and says she is not working. A bailiff at Sutton Street court who I met outside told me he was going to serve the papers on the sister inmately because they lived together. Can he do this.

Dear Marco,
One must be careful to note at all times that there is no bailiff that you will ever need to meet and do business with on the outside of the court at Sutton Street. There is a regularised bailiff office to the back of the court.
Perhaps you met private process servers.
Now once the summons is for money, the forms of service are:
(1) actual, or personal, service, (2) substituted service, and (3) service by publication
Therefore the summons must be given to the person who owes you directly.
The only way to exercise your rights and give otherwise is after receiving permission through a court order to serve otherwise.
There are times when the Court proceeds when it is not personally served for example in the instance where the person turns up and does not contest the service where the private process server gives the documents to someone else who they believe will hand it over.
Remember though that if the person has a lace of business, the summons can be served at their place of business.
On another note, the business of inmate service is about serving someone in prison.The other meaning is to say the service was done impersonally, where the summons is left with someone over the age of 16.. but this inmate method is reserved for claims not involving money.

USEFUL LINK ‘Brochure on How To Serve Summons’

Be warned that sewer service and false declarations of service makes a process server liable for prosecution.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, and are done by inhouse senior journalists, chiefly Anthea McGibbon, after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary. Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information.

For physical assistance:

For non attorney services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, filing, artwork, follow ups) in Jamaica you may simply write to to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse. TEL: 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply.

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.