Lost receipts, no probate, need to evict Jamaica tenant

Lost receipts, no probate, need to evict Jamaica tenant …Tenant will not leave, nor pay rent for my dad’s Jamaica property

My dad died and left three of us. My sister and I visit Jamaica, and she helps me to collect rent from a tenant I have in the house there. The tenant stopped paying anyone rent since the police who helped us died. How can I get her out, because I cant find my receipt book to prove she paid me rent. The title is still in my dads name and we have not done anything with the will he left yet.

Kindest regards
Mughead in NY

Dear Mughead,
Thanks for writing in. So by our research, you can take steps to get her out through the court nearest to you. Please ensure you give her a proper notice first. When that expires you take your copy with your original signature to the nearest parish court and obtain your summons. That summons is to be served upon her by anyone over the age of 18 years EXCEPT a police officer wearing red or blue seamed or ranked higher. Some persons charge a fee, but you can serve her by hand or by dropping it at her feet.
Your sister can assist to prove the tenancy where there is denial and the other beneficiaries of the will should give you a letter of consent and approval to rent the property and to recover possession from the tenant. Dont take it for granted that because you put her there you can get her out freely without trouble.
Now in the meantime, you really should resolve the ownership issues that is take steps necessary to probate the will. This may involve an attorney-at-law.
Keep connected. Write again for more.
Legal wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, and are done by inhouse senior journalists, chiefly Anthea McGibbon, after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary. Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information.

For physical assistance:

For non attorney services (incl research, documentation, collections, legwork, follow ups) in Jamaica you may simply write to legalwizwork@yahoo.com to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse. TEL: 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply.

Photo by Charleston’s TheDigitel

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.