THIS YEAR (2008) THE Scotia Private Client Group team put all heart in art, making their annual signature event “Celebration of Art”, on December 5, masterful. The show held at the Devonshire, and, curated by Susanne Fredricks also included a silent auction to earn funds for Jamaican victims of the Scoliosis disease.
Setting the stage for a cultural ambassador to take notes, a selection of Jamaica’s ultimate best in painting, jewelry and sculptor were presented as the main show. The work of three masters, jeweler Garth Sanguinetti, painter Barrington Watson, and, the late Christopher Gonzalez stood to tell tales of culture and talent of Jamaica’s people.
On auction were works by varied artists including Phillip Supersad.
And, to compliment this range were pieces by young upcoming sculptor Donito Davis. They also went bold in choosing a photographer, Marvin Bartley, this year, to bear the annual grant award claimed by Keriene Chang Fatt last year.
Student photographer, Marvin Bartley, who is better known for his work in fashion photography is himself a developing force to be reckoned with, his work showing deep creative thought.
Guest speaker was Professor Rex Nettleford, who chose this fairly new forum to chime old rings about his perspective on the creative sector within society. Bank president, Bruce Bowen introduced Scoliosis Care, while speaking on the silent auction. Having recently spent time in the presence legendary Beres Hammond, the superb craftmanship and artistic talent was enough to impress him of the local “indomitable and resilient spirit”. In admiration, he said “Jamaicans have an innate talent of being the very best at what they do, of creating beauty and joy and excitement out of very limited resources.”
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Jamaica Covid-19 Watch2020.03.27JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Super job by our civil Parish Judge
- Special FYI News2020.03.26JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Stay home and earn
- Special FYI News2020.03.24JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Formal Order for March 25th, 2020
- Jamaica Covid-19 Watch2020.03.23JAMAICA COVID-19 WATCH: Court sittings put off but offices open