Do I need to probate the Will in JA, can I use an agent with POA

My father, who lives in the UK now has been left land in Jamaica, by his cousin He needs to probate the Will with the help of a ‘Power of Attorney’

My father, who lives in the UK now has been left land in Jamaica, by his cousin. My father has a copy of the Will and a copy of the Certificate of title for the land. In 1995, with the permission of my father’s cousin, my dad built a house on his cousin’s land with the intention for both of them to live there. My Dad built the house lived there until 2008 when he returned to the Uk with ill health. Since 1995 my father has been paying the taxes and continued to pay the taxes with the help of his brother (who has now passed away) and any family member that was visiting Jamaica.

1. Does the Will need to be probated in Jamaica?
2. If the Will is required to be probated, who is responsible for probating the Will?
3. As he now lives in the Uk and he is not so good on his feet, can he appoint a power of attorney to represent him to oversee the process of dealing with transferring the land title in his name with the appropriate documents and if the Will is required to be probated?

I would appreciate it if you could please address my question.
Date Pete

Dear Date,

The Will relating to property in Jamaica needs to be probated in Jamaica. The executors of beneficiaries are primarily responsible to probate the Will. An agent in Jamaica can be appointed to assist him.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, and are done by inhouse senior journalists, chiefly Anthea McGibbon, after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary. Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information. Although articles and findings are researched, opinions offered on this site are for informational purposes only and are not intended to provide specific advice to any individual. This information is not intended to be a substitute for individualized tax, legal, or investment advice. Therefore please consider discussing your specific situation with a qualified tax, legal, or financial advisor.

For physical assistance:

For non attorney services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, filing, artwork, follow ups) in Jamaica you may simply write to to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse. TEL: 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply.

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.