QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
Good morning, You’re doing a fantastic job. However I think you should research and post more information for paralegals in the Caribbean. I am a paralegal in Jamaica, just graduated.
Can you give me some guidance on how to prepare an intake for a client.
RESPONSE: Dear PJ
Thanks for logging on the site PJ. Assuming you already know what an intake is, one advice would be to prepare a general form for your business, whether you are supervised by an attorney, operate as an independent paralegal or not.
Truley glad you reached out so at least it confirms there are some persons who strive to be professional and the intake really protects you as well as the attorney.
Preparing an intake requires these basic facts:
1. client identity
2. lawyer identity
3. contact details of client;
4. scope or service – make sure to state your limitations
5. scope of work;
6. conflict of interest
7. client obligations;
8. delegation of work;
9. expected chronology;
10. fee arrangement;
11. billing format – detail retainer here or in an additional retainer form;
12. rate changes;
13. withdrawal or termination of services clause;
14. signing clause
The above does not constitute or replace professional legal advice.
The responses to the varied submitted questions are drafted by our inhouse journalist, after research and consultations with attornies-at-law and other relating experts in their fields. It is not to be assumed therefore that all members of the Legal Wiz team are trained and practicing attornies-at-law, realtors, investigators, but being a part of the network such personnel utilise their skills for the success of all.
Contact the team at 530-5744
... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us
- Questions: Legal Wiz2019.04.15I just got notified of application to take over my Ja land
- Questions: Legal Wiz2019.04.08Lost receipts, no probate, need to evict Jamaica tenant
- Questions: Legal Wiz2019.04.01Jamaica lawyer gives me 6 for a 9, no case filed
- Of Law and Justice2019.03.27Power of Attorney guidlines from Jamaica Land Agency