[This article is based on research, including discussions with attornies-at-law.]
TO PROBATE OR ADMINISTER BY LETTER?
Prior to probate or administration, determine who will apply for probate or administration if it wont be you.
Sort to see which of the following category applies:
– The Executor who is willing to act
– There is an Executor, but he wont act
– There is no Executor named
– The Executor dies
NB: Any arising disputes regarding the decedent’s will or the Administration application will be handled in the Supreme Court of Judicature of Jamaica. The important thing is to be aware of any pending dispute possibilities and make your attorney aware.
The court for filing is determined by the value of the estate.
Make contact with the executor, and where he refuses to act, one of the beneficiaries must apply for letters of administration.
Take check of relevant fees relating
DOCUMENTS eg death certificates, marriage certificates, birth certificates original Will
LABOUR costs for example research, attorney fees
VERIFICATION OF RELATIONSHIP
Secure a probate lawyer who will present the application to the Administrator General’s office, who will decide the matters regarding the estate, including property distribution.
OF COURSE, getting an attorney-at-law is not compulsory but goes a far way to avoid trouble later.
If your matter is straightforward, and dispute free, you may consider a non-attorney who is legally trained
This article was written by senior journalist Anthea McGibbon, after intense research. It is not meant to be taken as independent professional legal advise. For more information or further research contact email@example.com.
For any legwork, fees may apply.
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Of Law and Justice2019.07.03Court Management host health fair at Sutton Street location
- Of Law and Justice2019.06.26Avoid basic corruption practices while in Jamaica
- General Releases2019.06.14Thank You on the 10th year anniversary of antheamcgibbon.com
- Letters From Readers2019.05.05Dear Jamaica’s PNP Head Peter Phillips