Jamaica’s Ministry of Legal and Constitutional Affairs has been formed. It is headed by one of the most settled and experienced legal minds who among the sweetest Jamaicans. The calm-spirited, cool and collected humanitarian The Honourable Marlene Malahoo Forte QC, MP is set to head Jamaica’s first Ministry of Legal And Consitutional Affairs and brings an array of experience and intimiate knowledge with Jamaica laws and rights. Already she’s missed as the Attorney-General.
The Ministry and its head was announced, 12 January 2022, by Prime Minister Andrew Holness, and as one of its main function it is set to lead the country away from being reliant on England, as Jamaica removes the Queen as it’s sovereign Head of State.
Based on the government’s statement, the newly created ministry’s focus areas are constitutional reform, legal education, legal reform and protection of human rights. The new ministry will also oversee the Law Revision Secretariat, the Legal Reform Department and the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel.
Among the other hopes for this new Ministry the public anticipates changes in the Constitution and improvement in existing laws that proposes to protect their rights. Already customers to some of the islandscourts are chanting for a reworking of certain courthouses, and are hoping that the staff for example at the Sutton Street to be reshuffled.
The overriding concern however is the high level of corruption sweeping the country that seems to be the only way that even some courthosue personnle can operate to effect ‘normalcy’.
So lets keep watch! Either way it is a well needed Ministry and we wish The Honourable Marlene Malahoo Forte QC, MP all the best.
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- One culture from many2022.10.17Jamaica Opposition Mark Golding 2022 Heroes Day address
- Of Law and Justice2022.10.12Jamaica Stock Exchange is for all Jamaicans!
- Events and celebrations2022.10.03List of Digicel Rising Star winners up to 2022
- Raw and Direct2022.10.02ARE JAMAICANS prepared for artificial intelligence?