I need to give notice to tenant acting like owner so he leaves

August 9th, 2017 by LegalWiz | Print I need to give notice to tenant acting like owner so he leaves

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I need the tenant out of my house. He takes multiple women there and pretends he is the owner, to them. Then these young girls disrespect me to the max. I need to get a peaceful life.
Clive Rob

RESPONSE: Dear Clive,
You will need to serve him a proper notice, and prepare to go to Court if he doesnt leave after it expires. Download this notice form below and follow the steps for a peaceful life.

NOTICE FORM to download

Download (PDF, 46KB)


  1. Fill in the form by following the instructions on the side. Contact us or the Rent Assessment Board for further information as necessary.
  2. Once filled in, you are expected to give one to the occupant, and secure the other one. Note the difference between tenant, occupant, licensee (Read on who is a tenant, squatter, licensee). If the person is not a tenant, simple cross out that word and write the relevant word – occupant or licensee above it and initial.
  3. The Rent Assessment Board advises that the Notice to Quit, once it is for recovery of the premises only, can be placed on the front door. If money is being sought, you must give the person directly or seek an order from the Court to use other means to serve it
  4. Once the forms expire, and the occupant has not vacated the premises, please take your copy of the notice and go to the nearest court nearest to the premises, and the court clerks / registry will assist you in filling in court forms, and applying for a summons to get an hearing before the Judge.
    Please note, you may also choose to hire an attorney-at-law to handle the court proceedings for you.

    Download eviction notice/ notice to quit form here:


You may visit the Rent Assessment Board while in Jamaica at The Towers, 25 Dominica Dr Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. OR Call them at 876-906-1765, 876-926-1590

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to legalwizwork@yahoo.com to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more



Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.