How will he pay me from Jamaican Jail

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I got a judgement order from the Lower Court for my money, but found out the Defendant is in jail for a crime for over a year now. He doesnt even have family members rallying around him, and nothing to sell at all.
I went to friend to recommend an attorney and he says I am wasting my money and nothing further. I need to leave the island and need that money badly. Can you help me to get an attorney.

RESPONSE: Dear Rudd,
It depends on why you would need an attorney. At this stage an attorney can only assist to get your money only after it can be proven that the person can pay you. The attorney can also help you to ‘refresh the order’ if it expires.
It doesnt seem as if that person can pay you at this time, and its likely that by the time the person is able to pay you the order will expire.
If you need to consult with an attorney further, it is recommended that you go to a legal aid clinic to save you needed funds.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, but are articles by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists. Names are sometimes changed by request.
FOR PHYSICAL ASSISTANCE: please contact Legal Wiz Team:
For physical work and other needed legal assistance in Jamaica, including collections, agents, court-process serve, documentation, errands, case follow up, not requiring the full services of an attorney-at-law, call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or write to to make arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse, or visit Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. NB: Fee conditions may apply!

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Related posts