I want to bring over my Haiti family to Jamaica to live with me

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My dad got married to a Haitian and they have one daughter. He needs to bring them over to live with me in Jamaica since the damage by the recent hurricanes. He is returning soon to see if he can get the process done quickly.
Marie Brown

RESPONSE: Dear Marie,
You didnt indicate the childs age, which can be important. If the child is a minor the parent or guardian applies on his/her behalf).
Based on the Jamaican Constitution (chapter two), anyone born in Jamaica and anyone born outside Jamaica of Jamaican parents have an automatic right to Jamaican citizenship. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Complete the Citizenship Application form at the link
or visit the Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency website (PICA), any Jamaican High Commission or Consulate for this form.

2. a) Applicant’s full birth certificate (showing parents’ names)

b) Applicant’s passport

c) Applicant’s marriage certificate (if applicable)

d) Jamaican parent’s birth certificate and passport (preferably Jamaican)

e) Parent’s marriage certificate (if applicable).

§5,000 in fees are applicable. Process takes a year


Non-Jamaicans who are married to Jamaicans and are seeking Jamaican Citizenship need to write to the Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) if applying in Jamaica. If living abroad, the letter should be written to the Jamaican High Commissions/Consulates. The following documents should be submitted:

a) Completed application R1 form in duplicate (forms are available from PICA’s website or from High Commissions/Consulates)

b) Applicant’s Passport and Birth Certificate

c) Marriage Certificate

d) Two (2) recent passport-size photographs

e) Husband’s or Wife’s Birth Certificate and Jamaican Passport

f) Police Report from country of residence

Please ask your dad to visit the Consulate or to visit the offices of Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) in Jamaica at:
25 Constant Spring Road
Kingston 10, Jamaica
Tel: (876) 908-0142
Email: citizenship@pica.gov.jm
PICA Website

MORE on immigration to Jamaica
Legal Wiz
The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to legalwizwork@yahoo.com to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Related posts