My Jamaican attorney died and I need my files

Webmasters Make $$$
Webmasters Make $$$

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My Jamaican attorney who worked alone died and no one can tell me where my file is. I went to the Court and no one can tell me about my file. Now what?
Sara McGowan

RESPONSE: Dear Sara,
When a person dies in general if he does not leave a will, its likely that someone will have to be the administrator over his affairs and belongings. This person usually must get permission from the Supreme Court to do so however. It is therefore being suggested that visit to the General Legal Council and Bar Association to check if that attorney’s files would have been forwarded to another office. If that does not bear fruit, checks should be made at the Court to see if anyone especially family members has applied for permission or to be the administrator over the estate of your deceased attorney.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. The responses are prepared and published by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Related posts