QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I paid at least three lawyers in Jamaica for one case at the Parish Court in Kingston. The first lawyer was clueless. The second lawyer tricked me into paying huge sums of monies and we ended up going nowhere. The final lawyer did not do several things he said he would have before the case started.
He took the case to Supreme Court in an attempt to get an injunction, but that failed because he did so after the order was made.
I found out later that documents I queried were in fact wrong and should not have been allowed.
So now, after I got upset the lawyer quickly applied to stay the order, but a day before the opposing lawyer managed to go to the Courtroom and have the Clerk sign off on a warrant. Therefore,on the morning that the hearing for the application was scheduled the Bailiffs came and threw me out.
Its a mess and the more persons I speak to I realise that several irregularities took place.
i went back to the last attorney who is a junior, and now I am at Supreme Court trying to get another injunction and the title which was gained by fraud extinguished.
I am writing your team, because I just need help to get some information and documents, some of which are in Court. I also will need help in writing a letter to go to the Bar Association to make complaints against one of the lawyers. Bruce
RESPONSE: Dear Bruce,
Thanks for reaching out. Our team members will assist you, but where there needs to be legal advice an attorney will have to assist you, even if its someone in our network.
Otherwise, we will assist but for a fee that I am sure you will find reasonable to cover our expenses, our time and skills. Please be aware though that the place to report attornies is not the Bar Association, but at the General Legal Council.
Here is some vital information on legal research.
What is Legal Research?
Legal research in its broadest sense refers to the act and/or process of sourcing, identifying and retrieving material, such as information which is critical to the legal decision making process.
During the legal decision making, legal research involves:-
– analysing the facts of the problem presented
– application and communication of the results of the investigation/research
The elements of legal research are:-
1) collection of primary sources of law, or primary authority in the relevant jurisdiction. These include cases, statutes, regulations, etc..
2) collection of relevant secondary authority for background information about a legal topic. This secondary authority includes law reviews, legal dictionaries, legal treatises, and legal encyclopedias such as Encyclopedia Britannica, American Jurisprudence and Corpus Juris Secundum.
3) collection of non-legal sources for investigative or supporting information that can bear relevance on the process
Other sources of information can be legal websites such as lawyers.com and printed books and newspapers.
Legal environment includes law schools, libraries etc.. The persons who primarily are relied upon to perform quality legal research are lawyers, paralegals, law librarians, law teachers and journalists working in relating fields.
The above does not constitute or replace professional legal advice.
The responses to the varied submitted questions are drafted by our inhouse journalist, after research and consultations with attornies-at-law and other relating experts in their fields. It is not to be assumed therefore that all members of the Legal Wiz team are trained and practicing attornies-at-law, realtors, investigators, but being a part of the network such personnel utilise their skills for the success of all.
Contact the team at 530-5744
... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us
- Of Law and Justice2021.01.18Expert legal case management service in Jamaica
- Of Law and Justice2020.12.31Jamaica notice forms with guidance page can be sent to you
- Of Law and Justice2020.12.07HELP! Sutton Street Parish Court loosing gamble with corruption
- Questions: Legal Wiz2020.10.28I want to get my tenants out, but their names are in confusion