He wants to know how to put my name on his Jamaica title

My husband wants to add my name to his title for his house (the property is located in Portland in Jamaica), but I’m unsure as to what to do… please help!

Webmasters Make $$$
Webmasters Make $$$

QUESTIONS: Dear Legal Wiz,

Hello, I was reading some of the stories on Jamaicans.com. I have a question and am hoping that you can help me. I live in USA (I was born in Jamaica), but my spouse lives in Jamaica. He wants to add my name to his title for his house (the property is located in Portland), but I’m unsure as to what to do. Can you give me some advice, please? I would like to know how we should go about doing this, who we should contact an so forth, and how much this may costs. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Lorna Sterling

RESPONSE: Dear Lorna Sterling,

Provided everything is in order with title and ownership, its just a matter of filling in a transfer form with relevant information such as names of persons to be added. The accompanying fees are minimal, but you will be required to pay transfer tax which usually is 7.5 per cent of the value of the property. Its best to contract the services of an attorney, especially if you think there might be complications involved.

Legal Wiz

House For Sale: Stamp Duty and Transfer Tax

Stamp Duty and Transfer Tax

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.