Top UK chef Jamie Oliver and his newly Punchy Jamaican rice is gaining astounding popularity, but for all the wrong reasons. British Labour Member of Parliament representing Brent Central, Dawn Butler is the latest, but albeit a strong voice against the promotion of this product.
Dawn Butler, took to Twitter to point Oliver to some cooking classes from Levi Roots, creator of Reggae reggae sauce. Her words were sharp, but on point representing the thoughts of countless offended Jamaicans. “I’m just wondering if you know what Jamaican jerk actually is? It’s not just a word you put before stuff to sell products.
Over 8000 responses followed her tweet as Jamaicans have been offended by the rice which evidently is Jamaican Jerk in name only.
Dawn Butler is the daughter of Jamaican immigrants. Levi Roots added his voice by describing the microwaveable dish a mistake.
According to Butler the rice is a ‘cultural appropriation’ which must be stopped.
Check out unique recipes on this site. No flour, no fat.
Get Jamaica Chef to cook for you by calling 876-530-5744
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- Jamaica Culture2019.08.18The Student teaches Paul Beale’s audience
- Jamaica Culture2019.08.11Jamaican Paul Beale’s ‘True Love’ touches hearts
- Of Law and Justice2019.07.03Court Management host health fair at Sutton Street location
- Of Law and Justice2019.06.26Avoid basic corruption practices while in Jamaica