Need power of attorney for hubby with mental illness

October 2nd, 2018 by LegalWiz | Print Need power of attorney for hubby with mental illness

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
Hi there,

I am a Canadian who is married to a Jamaican resident. He is currently in the hospital with a mental illness. I am wondering if there is a way to become his power of attorney to make decisions for him if he is not of sound mind? They have been treating him for a few weeks now but I don’t want them to let him out as he is not better yet. Is there a way to do this so I can make decisions for him?



RESPONSE: Dear Sirjuen
Only the person giving you power can sign the power of attorney. In cases like yours the capacity of the mentally ill may not be present.
Persons in similar cases are therefore guided to apply for guardianship through the Courts.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute or replace professional legal advice.
The responses to the varied submitted questions are drafted by our inhouse journalist, after research and consultations with attornies-at-law and other relating experts in their fields. It is not to be assumed therefore that all members of the Legal Wiz team are trained and practicing attornies-at-law, realtors, investigators, but being a part of the network such personnel utilise their skills for the success of all.
Contact the team at 530-5744


Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.