Does my son have a criminal record for owing money

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My son did not go back to court after the judge said he owed the money. He signed to pay it, but couldnt. The bailiff and the police were trying to arrest him and he jumped the wall. Later a group of police grabbed him and took him to lock up. Will he get a criminal charge.

RESPONSE: Dear Ms Myrna,
We spoke with a bailiff and were told that the police alone can determine if they will proceed with a charge for trying to escape arrest.
Regarding the money owed in civil court, he wont get a criminal record, but he is liable to be locked up until he pays the sum owed. He should have gone back to the Court to explain his means and agree on a set sum he can afford to put in on a regular basis.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice, and are done by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary. Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information.


For non attorney services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, follow ups) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply.

Author Profile

... a team of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts (literary, visual, performing, culinary) and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law). Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public.
Link me here
Click here for more about us

Related posts