“A people without knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” – Marcus Mosiah Garvey, Jamaica’s national hero
A potpourri of culture, Jamaica is above any other nation or part of the world. The people who come to our shores are unique, but there comes the time, when there is a blending and what results is a unique flavour of cuisine. To some we seem a bright and colourful rainbow.
Each native is born out of that melting pot, and no matter where we are – those familiar with a real, raw Jamaican can recognise them anywhere, no matter how large the crowd. We do have skin tones similar to other natives resulting from a blend of nations, but truthfully, Jamaicans are the only people that stand out – being Jamaican. it’s more than our dialect, our food, our creative intelligence — we just are unique.
The Taino, published April 2, 2010
The Chinese, published April 2, 2010
The Irish, published April 2, 2010
The English, published May 2, 2010
The Lebanese and Syrians, published June 27
The Spanish, published August 12, 2010
The Africans, published August 31, 2010
The Germans, published September 11, 2010
The Indians came in 1845, published October 5, 2010
The Scots, published November 10, 2010
Characteristics of Jamaicans:
Although some Jamaicans deny it, one culture arising from the blend of all cultures under the over 90 degree sun heat is the Rastafarian culture, where reggae is the indigenous music form resulting. A number of Jamaicans claim rasta is more African than anything, or any other culture.
Proud, resilient, survivors, colourful, creative, “likkle, but tallawah”, achievers, energetic, rasta
Jamaica (Jah Mek Ya) – OUT OF MANY, ONE NATION
Just a Thought — Jamaica – Jah Mek Yah – Jah made here – God made here — us who we are!
- ... qualified & experienced in journalism, creative writing, editing, the arts, art critique, paralegal, photography, teaching, research, event planning, motivational speaking, workshops for children and adults, visual arts etc. Click here for contact form. ...or email me here
- One culture from many2022.10.17Jamaica Opposition Mark Golding 2022 Heroes Day address
- Of Law and Justice2022.10.12Jamaica Stock Exchange is for all Jamaicans!
- Events and celebrations2022.10.03List of Digicel Rising Star winners up to 2022
- Raw and Direct2022.10.02ARE JAMAICANS prepared for artificial intelligence?